I may receive a commission for purchases made through product links on this page, but I always stand by my opinions and endorsements!
Do you fear you’ve got lead in your drinking water supply? You’re not alone. The situation in Flint, Michigan proved that many people are at risk. The presence of lead in drinking water is a result of neurotoxin materials used in making pipes.
Best Water Filter for Lead Review
In this comprehensive guide, I’ll take you through what are the best water filter for lead and safe level of lead in drinking water in PPM (if there’s any). If you suspect you’ve got lead in your water supply, our buyer’s guide should help you.
Best Overall: Whole House Lead & Cyst Removal System:
- Filters 99.95% of Lead and other heavy metal
- Great Customer Care from Great People
- Filters 99.95% chlorine, Chloramines, heavy metals, and a sediment filter
- Premium certified components
- Does not affect water pressure
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- Free shipping
Springwell has the best filtering system for lead. You may be wondering, why this whole House lead and cyst removal system is so dependable while other water filters fail? Well, It removes 99.95% of all heavy metals such as lead and also filters out other contaminants such as cysts, chloramines, and chlorine.
More importantly, this water filtration system was specifically designed as a lead water filter, it physically removes all harmful contaminants including lead. When dealing with water-soluble lead, the filtration system uses system binders that react chemically with soluble lead.
The reaction creates an ionic bond that physically remove lead. When dealing with Particulate lead, it uses Springwell water filters which are designed to filter particles from water.
What you get from Whole House Lead & Cyst Removal System 100,000 GALLONS CAPACITY …
- Removes 99.95% of Lead and other heavy metal: The system is has a 0.5 -micron filtration level which able to filter both soluble and particle lead from drinking water.
- Whole house water filtration: This system is designed to be installed at the point where water enters the plumbing system of the house.
- NSF Certified/ANSI P473 standard 53: This filtration system is has been independently tested by third-party and certified to remove lead and cyst.
- Removes waterborne parasite: Springwell filtration systems are Certified to remove 99.95 GIardia and Crypto.
- Comes with a real-time water monitoring system: The led monitor detects a change in water flow rate and gives notification when water filters cartridges need to be replaced.
- Removes Chlorine and Chloramine: The Springwell filter removes contaminants which have been proven to have negative health effects such as chloramines and chlorine.
The system is super easy to install and comes with an installation kit. The package comes with a very detailed installation manual which is super easy to follow. Each filter has a capacity of 100,000 gallons of water (one year worth of filtered water) With this system, you’ll not only get a great product, but you get great customer care from great people.
- 1,000,000 gallons of water without need to change water filters
- 6-month money-back guarantee and 5 year warranty
- Removes 99.9% of chlorine and chloramines
- Fast and free shipping
- Long lasting filter life
- Need for professional installation
- A bit pricey
Best Value: Aquaox whole house filtration system for Lead
- A 7-stages filtration system that remove lead from water
- Tested and shown remove lead by 99.9%
- Filters 100’s of contaminants
- No maintenance nor buying replacement filters
- 20 years worth of filtration
The next water filter system on our list is the AquaOx Whole House Water Filtration System. With this system, it does not matter where you get your water from, whether tap water or well water supply. With Aquaox you will never have to worry what is in your water.
What makes this water filter system so great is the ability to remove a wide variety of contaminants such as lead, iron, chromium, fluoride, arsenic, radium, chlorine, chloramines, chromium 6, and more. Aquaox ensures you have the safe water.
You’ve got the option of Upgrading this water filter system by easily adding a UV filter deal with bacteria and viruses. You can also integrate reverse osmosis to get safe drinking water.
What you get from Aquaox whole house Water Filter…
- Uses a 7-stage filtration system that removes lead, pesticides, sediments pesticides, and many others.
- Not only does it filter Lead: it removes chlorine and 70 other contaminants.
- State of the art filtration: It doesn’t matter where you get your drinking water whether supplied from a city or a private well. This water filter system will make sure you have clean water.
- This water filter system needs no maintenance and it will filter between 2,000,000- 3,200,000 Gallons of water (250 Gallons per day). This is approximately 20 years’ worth of filtration.
- It uses layers of filtration media which include: KDF 85, Garnet, Adsorptive Carbon, Activated carbon block and Filter-AG
- No Pressure Drop: Because this water filter has a high flow rate, you’ll not experience any pressure drop in water.
- Because the water filter removes 99.9% of chlorine and chloramine, you sin and hair will feel great. You can also drink your water.
- A backwashing mechanism that refreshes the filtration.
When you choose to go with AQuaOX whole house water filter, be prepared to part with a small fortune, but seeing the kind of value you’re getting, it’s worth it. You will get 20 years’ worth of filtration and you’ll never spend any more on changing water filters.
- State of the art filtration which uses a 7 stage filtration
- Removes 99.9% heavy metals
- whole house filtration system
- No maintenance needed
- Works with both cold water and hot water
IN THIS POST
- 1 Best Water Filter for Lead Review
- 1.1 Best Overall: Whole House Lead & Cyst Removal System:
- 1.2 Best Value: Aquaox whole house filtration system for Lead
- 1.3 Aquasana OPTIMH2O whole house filter system
- 1.4 Clearly 3-stage under sink filter: Budget Pick
- 1.5 iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage – Under Sink RO System
- 1.6 Home Master TMULTRA-ERP – Ultra RO Osmosis
- 1.7 APEC Water Systems RO-90 Ultimate Series
- 1.8 Countertop Water Filter
- 2 Safe Level of Lead in Water PPM
- 3 EPA regulations on Lead Levels.
- 4 How to know if you have lead in your water.
- 5 How does lead affect our health?
- 6 The appropriate filtration methods to remove lead from water
- 7 How to Prevent lead poisoning at home
- 8 FAQs On How To Filter Lead
- 8.1 Does Brita filter remove lead?
- 8.2 Which type of water filters is the best for removing lead?
- 8.3 Can bottled water have lead contamination
- 8.4 Can you test your own water for lead?
- 8.5 Which water filter pitcher removes lead
- 8.6 Do refrigerator filters filter out lead?
- 8.7 Does PUR Water Filter Remove Lead
- 9 Conclusion
- Certified by IAPMO to remove lead by 99.9%
- Comes with a pre-filter
- More power can be added by integrating with salt-free water conditioner and UV filtration.
- 100,000 Gallons filtration per filter
- Tested with the ANSI/NSF standard
No list of lead filters can be complete without including Aquasana OptimH2O. If you want to experience the best filtration for the cleanest and healthiest water, you should look at Aquasana OptimH2O Whole House Filter System and water softener.
Aquasana OPTIMH2O is certified to reduce 99.9% of lead and cysts, 98% of PFOA/PFOS. This makes it one of the most powerful water filters on the market today.
In addition to filtering removing lead, it also reduces common contaminants such as chlorine, chloramines, and other contaminants thus making sure you’ve healthier skin and hair.
Cooking with tap water that has been purified with OptimH2O improves the taste of your food. It also produces safe drinking water, especially for kids. And because OptimH2O is a whole house system, it makes sure that you get clean drinking water from every tap and shower in your house
What you get from Aquasana OptimH2O Whole House Filter System.
- Certified to remove lead by 99.9% by IAPMO.
- Comes with a pre-filter to reduce sediments.
- You can easily add Aquasana salt-free water conditioner to prevent limescale from accumulating in pipes and damaging your appliances.
- You can upgrade by adding a powerful UV filtration to protect your family from pathogens such as bacteria and viruses.
- It comes with a led system that monitors filtered water quality. It notifies you when you need to change the filter.
- Replacing water filters is super easy because of the lift and replacement design.
- Works with both cold water and hot water
- 100,000 gallons per filter.
- You can add more performance by integrating with a salt-free water conditioner and UV Filter.
- Free shipping
OPTIMH2O has a unique design that includes a solid carbon filter and 20 inches pre-filter. It does not need to backflush or draining.
Clearly 3-stage under sink filter: Budget Pick
- Remove lead water upto 99.9%
- Fluoride and Arsenic filter
- 3-stage filtration
- NSF certified standard 42, 53, and 401
If you’re on the hunt for an under sink lead water filtration system that does not use reverse osmosis which waste gallons of filtered water and also filters lead, Clearly Filtered 3-stage is what you’re looking for.
with this system, you can get clean and safe filtered water efficiently. It uses a 3-stage filtration that filters more than 232 contaminants.
- Stage 1: Premium Carbon filters
- State 2: Special filtration media that remove lead and VOCs.
- Stage 3 Fluoride and Arsenic filter.
Independent lab test against NSF 42, 53 and 401 has shown it removes 99.9 % lead, 99.9% chlorine, 98.6% chloramines, 94.3% fluoride and 99.5% chromium 6.
With Clearly 3-stage under sink filter you get…
- State of art filtration that gives clean and healthy drinking sink filtered water for your family.
- DIY installation that takes less than 15 minutes to install
- Each filter gives you 2,000 gallons of filtered water.
- Non-Permanent installation
- Replacement filters are easily available.
- Certified to ANSI/NSF standards
When it comes to customer reviews, Clearly V3-Stage Under-the-Sink Filter System has great reviews. Most customers like the quality of water and quick filtration. It’s much more convenient than a water pitcher.
The Only issue I came across while researching reviews was someone who noted a small drop in pressure which should be expected with almost all water filters.
iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage – Under Sink RO System
The iSpring is a high capacity filter that relies on the reverse osmosis filtration system that can remove up to 98% of lead from the water. It is mounted under the sink, and it also helps to make sure the sink water is softened. Apart from removing lead, you can also rely on it to eliminate fluoride, chlorine, sodium, calcium, and asbestos, among other contaminants.
Using this filter gives you clean, safe, and better-tasting sink water. The filter has a 5-stage RO system that reduces lead removes pollutants from gallons of water. It also has a 6th stage, which is the Alkaline Remineralization filter that helps to balance the alkalinity and restore healthy minerals.
The unit features high-quality components, and it requires minimal maintenance. The installation is also a seamless task, and it comes with all the parts plus assembly instructions.
Home Master TMULTRA-ERP – Ultra RO Osmosis
Looking to remove lead in your home tap water supply? Well, you could get Home Master TMULTRA-ERP filter, which uses its filtration to remove pollutants from water. This filter features an advanced RO system, which makes the filtration better. It can remove up to 98% of contaminants such as lead, chemicals, sediments, chlorine, and fluoride.
The Home Master TMULTRA-ERP is ideal for well water treatment because it has an iron pre-filter that protects the RO membrane, plus the permeate pump optimizes limited water pressure. It also has a UV filter that destroys microorganisms. Another thing about Home master flters is that they are not only durable but also easy to change.
APEC Water Systems RO-90 Ultimate Series
The APEC Ultimate RO-90 water purifier holds the credential of being a high speed reverse osmosis system. If you are looking for a super-fast system, this is definitely the most efficient item on our list.
However, this is not the only plus for this model, it is come s with super large capacity filters that are able to remove lots of contaminants from water. This Reverse Osmosis Water Purification System is packed with many cutting-edge features to ensure efficiency in removing contaminants from water.
The RO system offers a stylish and sleek look. if you’ve used an APEC product in the past, you will find this design familiar. The drinking water filter has been tested and certified by WQA and NSF to remove lead up to 99%.
Overall, the APEC Ultimate RO-90 is a sure bet for anyone who wants to ensure they have ultra-fresh clean drinking water supply. When I was researching on the Amazon reviews, I come across plenty of reviewers who had highlighted some pros and cons. Here’s a brief summary of the pros and cons.
Countertop Water Filter
Are you looking for an affordable drinking water treatment system that will help you make sure you don’t have lead in your water? Well, you might consider checking out this filter for lead and determine if it suits your needs. The filter is designed to eliminate up to 99% of contaminants present in water. Besides removing lead it also eliminates contaminants that contribute to bad odor in the water supply.
This equipment is designed to sit on your kitchen counter close to the sink, thanks to its compact design. The filter will connect to most standard household kitchen faucets, and it’s pretty easy to install. The filter is meant for DIY installations because it comes with all the necessary hardware. It also includes a limited 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Safe Level of Lead in Water PPM
The Environmental protection Agency (EPA) requires that the safe level of lead in water does not go above 15 PPM.
It has been shown that the majority of lead exposer happens because of infected pipes and faucets. when water comes into contact with pipes that are made neurotoxin materials, lead is introduced into the water supply.
Cases of lead poisoning are mostly found in places where the plumbing was done a long time ago such as in hospitals and schools.
When it enters the body, it accumulates in the bones and joints which results in lead poisoning. Signs of lead poisoning include muscle and joint pains. It may result in brain damage for kids who are still growing.
EPA regulations on Lead Levels.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and NSF Internation, drinking water should have lead levels in excess of 15 ppm. Make sure the water you consume does not exceed this level.
All public facilities such as schools and hospitals should measure their water source and ensure the levels of lead don’t go above 15 PPM. Landlords who rent out apartments are required to ensure water supply meets this requirement. When the lead level rises above 15 PPM, remedial action should be taken.
The most common coarse action to take when you’ve got a high amount of lead in your water supply is to replace infected lead pipes and other plumbing materials.
How to know if you have lead in your water.
As we have already seen most lead exposer happens due to infected pipes and faucets. The following are steps you can take to know if you’ve lead contamination in your water.
- Make a call to your local municipality to inquire about the amount of lead contamination in your water supply.
- You can get a testing kit from your local supplies shop.
- Check out EPA reports which are published https://www.epa.gov/
- Remove lead from water
How does lead affect our health?
The presence of lead in your water supplies could affect the wellness and health of your family. Sadly, you cannot detect lead through the naked eye or sense of smell. That means that you may be consuming this contaminant without your knowledge, especially if your home was built a while back.
However, you can be removing lead from your water supply by installing a good water filter. However, finding a water filter that remove lead from water proves to be a daunting task because there is plenty of this equipment on the market. Fortunately for you, we have picked the best filter for lead to help you, so that you can make a wise investment.
Lead is a harmful contaminant in water that can affect our health in a couple of ways. It is even more dangerous if consumed by young kids under the age of 7 or pregnant women. Here are some of the health effects that lead brings to our bodies. You should make sure you don’t expose your family to lead especially children.
- Reduced IQ
- Delay in physical and mental development
- Attention disorder
- Damage of the brain and nervous system
- Behavioral change
The appropriate filtration methods to remove lead from water
There exist different filtration methods that you could rely on to remove lead from water. However, finding the right one according to your specific requirements might prove challenging, but if you scour the market enough, you’re guaranteed to find the right equipment for you. You should make sure the filter for lead removal is effective.
Overall, here are the basic filtration methods that could help you remove lead from water.
RO is one of the most appropriate methods to help you get rid of lead. It is a commonly used method because of its affordability. However, you cannot find it commercially because of the high cost, plus high-end water filtration units only use it. But, you can carry out partial filtration as it is available commercially at a pocket-friendly price, and it helps remove 95% of Lead from Water.
You can also remove lead from water through a distillation process. However, this is the most expensive of all the filtration methods for eliminating lead. But, it gets cheaper as the amount of water that needs to get filtered in one go increases.
You should know that this process consumes a lot of electricity, and it is both capital and labor-intensive. Despite this factor, distillation is a very effective method of filtering lead.
Activated carbon filtration
The activated carbon filtration is another reliable process that you can rely on to filter and remove lead from water. It is also known for absorbing other heavy metals like magnesium and other factors that are harmful. However, this process does not always remove Lead from Water completely because its cartridges get filled up quickly. That means that they need frequent replacement and that their lead filtering capabilities deteriorate with time.
How to Prevent lead poisoning at home
- Get your water tested for lead
- Prevent lead expose from old pipes and faucets by replacing rusty pipes with new once.
- Install the best water filter for lead removal
- Be on the lookout for chipping the paint on the walls and windows.
- If you suspect that your water has high levels of lead install the water filter. You can also install a shower filter such as an Aquabliss shower filter. In most cases, the most effective filtration method is RO or distillation.
- Ensure that your diet is full of vegetables and fruits as they prevent the absorption of lead. In addition, a diet that is rich in calcium and zinc is great at preventing the absorption of lead into the body.
FAQs On How To Filter Lead
Does Brita filter remove lead?
Which type of water filters is the best for removing lead?
Can bottled water have lead contamination
Can you test your own water for lead?
Which water filter pitcher removes lead
Do refrigerator filters filter out lead?
Does PUR Water Filter Remove Lead
Lead is a harmful contaminant on the water that could affect the health of your family members. That’s why it’s imperative to get the best water filter for lead removal if you are experiencing water quality issues. We have reviewed some of the best filters that you can find on the market to help you have lead free water in your home. After the Flint Michigan incident of lead poisoning, many countries adopted a regulation that set standards to limit the usage of lead in the making of pipes used in plumbing. When buying faucets and plumbing items make sure that they are certified to meet the low lead standards.