I was looking for information on how to remove iron from well water naturally, so I did a quick research on it. According to “Essential of geology” journal, 5% of earth’s crust is made up of Iron. It is this iron in rocks that finds its way into the water aquifers.
So What’s the answer?
Afterward, a sediment filter is used to remove the rust. You can use point of use filters such as shower filters or whole house water filters to remove the solid precipitates. Let’s dig a little deeper and look at the best iron filter for well water.
If you’re looking for some alternatives solution for removing iron from water, here are the best iron filter well water solutions:
- Best whole house water filter for Iron: iSpring WGB32BM 3-stage (Amazon)
- Best Water Softener for Iron: Iron pro 2 combination iron filter. (Amazon)
- Best Iron Injection System: AFWFilters AIS10-25SXT (Amazon)
- 1 How to Removing Iron From Water naturally and Cheaply
- 2 Best Filter to Remove Iron for Well Water
- 3 How Iron gets into the water
- 4 Iron Bacteria
- 5 Effects of Iron bacteria
- 6 Health Effects of iron
- 7 Using Chlorine To kill iron Bacteria
- 8 Removing iron by use Water softeners
- 9 Do water filters remove iron?
- 10 Removing Iron From water using Shower filters.
- 11 Iron Removal from Borewell Water
- 12 Conclusions
- 13 Looking to buy the best shower filter
How to Removing Iron From Water naturally and Cheaply
To solve this challenge of removing iron from water cheaply and naturally, you have to find a way of adding air into the water. The method you use will depend on which is the most convenient way you have. The following are some of the commonly used techniques for water aeration.
- Ejector air diffuse– This is basically an air pipe inside a water pipe that injects air into the water.
- Drip air diffuser-In this method a closed tank has several plateaux on top of each other. Water drips from one plateau to another meeting a stream of air in the opposite direction.
- Bottom air diffuser– Aeration is achieved by placing water on a screen and then air is blown beneath it producing bubbles as the air escapes from the water. This technique is called a bubble diffuser.
- Aeration staircase- water flows down a staircase into a waiting container. In this technique, oxygen for aeration is gotten from the atmosphere.
Best Filter to Remove Iron for Well Water
How Iron gets into the water
During the perforation of rainwater through rocks into water aquifers, irons which naturally exists in rocks dissolve in the water. Because there is no oxygen underground, oxidation of the iron does not take place.
Oxidation of iron happens when iron comes into contact with oxygen and a chemical reaction takes place to form solid particles which the settle down on the surface of the container holding the water.
You can enhance this method of oxidation and filtration by spraying water into an underground tank and then pumping it to a tank. Before water reaches the tank it should pass through an air injector which adds more oxygen into the water.
Iron bacteria are micro-organisms that consume iron. These bacteria are naturally found in soil and water. When feeding on iron, these tiny organisms create an oxidation reaction forming rust and greasy material that is deposited on water equipment which results in staining and corrosion.
Effects of Iron bacteria
- Bad Odor
- Corrosion of water appliances
- Clogging of pipes
- The presence of other bacteria such as sulfur bacteria
The presence of iron bacteria can be revealed by the presence of reddish color in the water. In addition, the presence of a greasy slime on faucets usually is an indication of iron bacteria.
Health Effects of iron
The human body needs iron which is used by blood as hemoglobin for transporting oxygen in the body. On the other hand, iron can also be harmful to the human body when it comes into contact with human tissues. Inhalation of concentrated of iron oxide fumes or dust may cause siderosis. More seriously, excessive inhalation of concentrated iron oxide can lead to lung cancer.
According to U.S Environmental protection Agency, an acceptable level of iron in well water is below 0.3 mg/L. This amount does not lead to staining and other negative such as reddish color and metallic taste.
Using Chlorine To kill iron Bacteria
Iron bacteria can be eliminated through a process called shock chlorination. In this process, a strong chlorine solution is introduced into the well. Roughly 2 gallons of chlorine is mixed with 10 gallons of water. It’s then splashed into the well. For more information read here.
Removing iron by use Water softeners
The most popular device for removing iron from water are water softeners. Through a process of ion exchange, water softeners are great at removing iron and softening water. Most households that use water-softeners report a great improvement in the quality of water. However, you should now these devices are not great at removing organic-iron.
Do water filters remove iron?
Although regular carbon filter can’t remove iron, an iron filter can remove iron quite effectively. Iron water filter uses the process of aeration to bring iron into contact with oxygen so that oxidation of iron takes place. After oxidation, solid particles of rust are gotten rid of using mechanical filtration. You should note that ferric iron should be removed using sediment filters which tend to be more effective because it is in solid form.
Removing Iron From water using Shower filters.
We have done a comprehensive analysis of shower filters, and what they remove. Read the effectiveness of shower filters in removing iron here.
Iron Removal from Borewell Water
Iron is abundantly found on rocks. When rainwater is sipping through rocks, this iron in rocks dissolves in the water. Effects of iron include staining of clothes and water appliances. In addition, iron might lead to clogging of pipes. The most effective method of removing iron from well water naturally is by aeration. This technique involves bringing the well water into contact with oxygen. When this happens iron reacts with oxygen to form rust which consists of solid particles which can then be filtered by mechanical means.
Looking to buy the best shower filter
Thanks for stopping by. If you looking to buy the best shower filter for removing chloramine, you can read our comprehensive guide and Reviews here