I may receive a commission for purchases made through product links on this page, but I always stand by my opinions and endorsements!
I was looking for information on how to remove iron from well water naturally, so I did a quick research on it. According to the “Essential of geology” journal, 5% of earth’s crust is made up of Iron. It is this iron in rocks that finds its way into the water aquifers. So What’s the answer?
Afterward, a sediment filter is used to remove the rust. You can use point of use filters such as shower filters or whole house water filters to remove the solid precipitates.
- 1 How to Removing Iron From Water naturally and Cheaply
- 2 Best Filter to Remove Iron for Well Water
- 3 How Iron gets into the water
- 4 Iron Bacteria
- 5 Effects of Iron bacteria
- 6 Health Effects of iron
- 7 Using Chlorine To kill iron Bacteria
- 8 Removing iron by use Water softeners
- 9 Do water filters remove iron?
- 10 Removing Iron From water using Shower filters.
- 11 Iron Removal from Borewell Water
- 12 Conclusions
How to Removing Iron From Water naturally and Cheaply
To solve this challenge of removing iron from water cheaply and naturally, you have to find a way of adding air into the water. The method you use will depend on which is the most convenient way you have. The following are some of the commonly used techniques for water aeration.
- Ejector air diffuse– This is basically an air pipe inside a water pipe that injects air into the water.
- Drip air diffuser-In this method a closed tank has several plateaux on top of each other. Water drips from one plateau to another meeting a stream of air in the opposite direction.
- Bottom air diffuser– Aeration is achieved by placing water on a screen and then air is blown beneath it producing bubbles as the air escapes from the water. This technique is called a bubble diffuser.
- Aeration staircase- water flows down a staircase into a waiting container. In this technique, oxygen for aeration is gotten from the atmosphere.
Let’s dig a little deeper and look at the best iron filter for well water. If you’re looking for some alternatives solution, here are iron filter solutions:
- Best whole house water filter for Iron: iSpring WGB32BM 3-Stage (Amazon)
- Best Water Softener for Iron: Iron pro 2 combination iron filter. (Amazon)
- Best Iron Injection System: AFWFilters AIS10-25SXT (Amazon)
Best Filter to Remove Iron for Well Water
Home Master Whole House 3-Stage Water Filtration System Review
The Home Master Brand are well known for their Reverse Osmosis water purifier. They assembled their most skilled and accomplished engineers to come up with Home master Whole House 3-stage filtration system, which is tailored towards removing iron, manganese, and sulfur from water. The filters are long-lasting with a capacity to process 100,00 gallons of water.
Before we begin looking at just how great the Home Master HMF3SDGFEC is, there are some basic things you should know about this filtration system; it uses a 3-stage filtration system.
- The 1st stage is a multi gradient sediment filter that removes solid contaminants such as rocks and salt.
- The 2nd stage is carbon filter which is made with a coconut shell carbon filter. At this stage contaminants such as chlorine and eliminate odors.
- The 3rd stage is a specialized filter for removing iron, sulfur, and manganese. At this stage, 95% of iron is removed.
When it comes to flow rate, you have the option of going with either 20 GPM, 15 GPM or 10 GPM depending on your consumption. You might be asking what are the downsides of this filter, so let us dive in and look at the pros and cons.
iSpring WGB32BM 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
Most water purification experts and customers know iSpring WGB22B-PB to be among the best whole house water purification system. This water purification system is packed with many cutting-edge features to ensure the highest performance.
The iSpring WB22B-PB is a 3-stage filtration system for removing iron and manganese from water. Making it really great for well water that has dissolved iron and manganese. The WGB32BM 3-Stage is able to reduce iron from highs of 6 ppm to as little as.
Stage one is a sediment filter for removing large sediments in the water. Stage two involves water going through the carbon block filter. Stage three involves FM25B iron and manganese filter.
Features and Benefits of Ispring WGB32BM
- Ability to reduce iron from highs of 6ppm to less than 1ppm.
- Water flow capacity of 15 GPM; thus, does not negatively affect water flow capacity.
- Does not get rid of healthy minerals such as calcium from the water.
- Three-stage filtration where the 1st stage is sediment filter, 2nd stage is carbon filter, 3rd stage iron filter.
- 100,000-gallon capacity replaceable filters.
Because of its high capacity, iSpring WGB22B-PB is perfect for large homes or even restaurants. You might be asking what are the downsides of this system. One thing I noticed when I was researching reviews is some people who complained of leakages. However, most reviews were positive.
Iron Pro 2 Combination water softener iron filter Fleck
if you’re looking for an effective simple solution for dealing with high levels of iron in your water, without doubt, try out Fleck Iron Pro 2 combination Water Softener. It’s a really highly rated, and it performs very well when it comes to dealing with a high amount of iron and manganese.
Without doubt, the best water softener that removes the iron is Iron pro 2 combination. This system was designed with iron removal in mind. It comes installed with a fleck 5600 control head. In addition to that, it’s installed with an iron filter which is able to remove iron from highs of 8ppm. Most people who have iron problem with their water will tend to also have hard water; thus, making a water softener ideal for hard water with iron.
This system is very popular with most customers who had an iron problem in their water reporting that they really love how clean their water becomes after installing this system. The systems come with a guarantee from the seller to repair or replace the system for 5 years for the control head and 10 years for the tanks.
AFWFilters AIS10-25SXT Air Injection
If you have very high levels of iron in your water, installing an air-injection iron filter. This ideal if you’ve upwards of 15 ppm iron in your water. This system work by drawing oxygen into a tank that has water rich in iron where oxidation happens.
The AFWFilters AIS10 is the top air injection on the market today. As you probably know, AFW company has been one of the top water filter manufacturers for years.
They are renown by most experts as being the best filter makers. One look at the AFWFilters AIS10 demonstrates why their products are so popular. Here are the features and benefits of this model.
Features and Benefits of AFWFilters AIS10
- Ability to remove iron from highs of 15ppm
- Able to remove iron, sulfur, and manganese. If you have the sulfur smell in your water, this system will definitely help.
- Fairly simple installation and because of the bypass valve, it’s easy to service.
- Does not add any chemicals into the water because it utilizes oxygen.
You might be asking what are the downside of using this system. You should know that unless you’ve very high levels of iron then air injection system might not be ideal. So, let’s look at the pros and cons of this system.
How Iron gets into the water
During the perforation of rainwater through rocks into water aquifers, irons which naturally exists in rocks dissolve in the water. Because there is no oxygen underground, oxidation of the iron does not take place.
Oxidation of iron happens when iron comes into contact with oxygen and a chemical reaction takes place to form solid particles which the settle down on the surface of the container holding the water.
You can enhance this method of oxidation and filtration by spraying water into an underground tank and then pumping it to a tank. Before water reaches the tank it should pass through an air injector which adds more oxygen into the water.
Iron bacteria are micro-organisms that consume iron. These bacteria are naturally found in soil and water. When feeding on iron, these tiny organisms create an oxidation reaction forming rust and greasy material that is deposited on water equipment which results in staining and corrosion.
Effects of Iron bacteria
- Bad Odor
- Corrosion of water appliances
- Clogging of pipes
- The presence of other bacteria such as sulfur bacteria
The presence of iron bacteria can be revealed by the presence of reddish color in the water. In addition, the presence of a greasy slime on faucets usually is an indication of iron bacteria.
Health Effects of iron
The human body needs iron which is used by blood as hemoglobin for transporting oxygen in the body. On the other hand, iron can also be harmful to the human body when it comes into contact with human tissues. Inhalation of concentrated of iron oxide fumes or dust may cause siderosis. More seriously, excessive inhalation of concentrated iron oxide can lead to lung cancer.
According to U.S Environmental protection Agency, an acceptable level of iron in well water is below 0.3 mg/L. This amount does not lead to staining and other negative such as reddish color and metallic taste.
Using Chlorine To kill iron Bacteria
Iron bacteria can be eliminated through a process called shock chlorination. In this process, a strong chlorine solution is introduced into the well. Roughly 2 gallons of chlorine is mixed with 10 gallons of water. It’s then splashed into the well. For more information read here.
Removing iron by use Water softeners
The most popular device for removing iron from water are water softeners. Through a process of ion exchange, water softeners are great at removing iron and softening water. Most households that use water-softeners report a great improvement in the quality of water. However, you should now these devices are not great at removing organic-iron.
Do water filters remove iron?
Although regular carbon filter can’t remove iron, an iron filter can remove iron quite effectively. Iron water filter uses the process of aeration to bring iron into contact with oxygen so that oxidation of iron takes place. After oxidation, solid particles of rust are gotten rid of using mechanical filtration. You should note that ferric iron should be removed using sediment filters which tend to be more effective because it is in solid form.
Removing Iron From water using Shower filters.
We have done a comprehensive analysis of shower filters, and what they remove. Read the effectiveness of shower filters in removing iron here.
Iron Removal from Borewell Water
Iron is abundantly found on rocks. When rainwater is sipping through rocks, this iron in rocks dissolves in the water. Effects of iron include staining of clothes and water appliances. In addition, iron might lead to clogging of pipes. The most effective method of removing iron from well water naturally is by aeration. This technique involves bringing the well water into contact with oxygen. When this happens iron reacts with oxygen to form rust which consists of solid particles which can then be filtered by mechanical means.