I like hanging on Reddit because I think it such a great place to get information on almost any topic you want. I recently came across a question on how to clean an above the ground pool filter with Muriatic acid. So I did a quick research.
Frequent cleaning of the pool filter cartridge is necessary to keep to maintain its efficiency. Although there are many filter cleaning solutions in the market, most of these solutions are not able to remove micro-organisms such as algae.
To remove microorganism you need other solutions such as muriatic acid. You might be asking what is muriatic acid? Muriatic acid is just a fancy name for hydrochloric acid. Muriatic acid has lots of commercial and domestic uses, and it’s readily available in home supplies stores.
How to Clean pool filter cartridge with Muriatic acid.
- The first step is to shut down the pool pump and the water supply. It’s important that you first turn off the water supply to ensure that before the pump to make sure water drains off the risk of shock while removing the filters.
- The second step is to free up the air relief valve in order to release the pressure on the filter system. This is done by releasing the pressure valve. You will hear a sound like that of a depressurizing tire.
- Now you’re ready to get into the filter housing by unscrewing the lid.
- Before you clean the filter with muriatic Acid, you need to thoroughly clean the filter with a hosepipe to remove debris such as rocks and dead leaves.
- After getting rid of all the debris, I recommend you use some of the commercial filter cleaners that are available in most home supply stores.
- Next, use clean water to remove all the chemicals. You can use a garden hose to rinse.
- Take large water content such as basin and fill it with water and 5% muriatic Acid (Hydrochloric Acid). Leave it inside for some time. Note you should leave inside until fizzling stops.
- Remove the filter from Acidic solution and rinse with lots of water. Then return the filter.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) on Pool Cleaning.
Can I Clean pool filter cartridge with bleach?
Can I clean the pool filter cartridge with vinegar?
What Pool cartridge filter cleaning tools do I need?
You need filter cleaning tools such as aqua comb pool cleaner which you can get at your local supply store.
You can also use a filter flosser
You also need muriatic acid
Can you pressure wash pool filters?
Can you clean a pool filter in the dishwasher?
How to clean above ground pool filter
How does the sand filter work?
It’s important to clean a pool filter with a disinfectant such as muriatic acid to get rid of micro-organism such as algae. It is important to ensure you have turned off the pool pump before you attempt to remove the filter cartridge. Before using the Muriatic acidic solution to clean the pool filter cartridge, use clean water using a hosepipe to remove debris that is stuck inside the filter. You should never clean filter cartridge using bleach because it tends to corrode the filter membranes. Finally, you should not pressure wash pool filters to avoid the pressure damaging the inner membranes.
ABOUT LEON SMITH
Leon is a Thirty-something-year-old blogger from Mauritius who is currently studying for a Master’s degree in chemical and processing Engineering at the University of Eldoret in Kenya.
IN THIS POST
- 1 How to Clean pool filter cartridge with Muriatic acid.
- 2 Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) on Pool Cleaning.
- 2.1 Can I Clean pool filter cartridge with bleach?
- 2.2 Can I clean the pool filter cartridge with vinegar?
- 2.3 What Pool cartridge filter cleaning tools do I need?
- 2.4 Can you pressure wash pool filters?
- 2.5 Can you clean a pool filter in the dishwasher?
- 2.6 How to clean above ground pool filter
- 2.7 How does the sand filter work?
- 2.8 Conclusion