Does Berkey Remove Fluoride?
Over the past decade, scientists have carried out studies that have exposed the toxicity of fluoride on humans. These scientists are especially concerned about its effects on kid’s brain development.
So what’s the problem?
It has been proven that kids who have exposure to high levels fluoride through drinking water loss a couple of IQ points. For most people, the simplest solution is to install effective fluoride filters. One of the popular water filters in the market today is the Berkey water filter. I did a quick research to find out how effective Berkey is at removing fluoride.
Does The Berkey remove fluoride? According to lab tests, Berkey filters are able to remove up to 99.9% of fluoride dissolved in water. Berkey uses microfiltration technology which is made up of six different filtration media. The filtration media are woven into a compact matrix which is able to absorb fluoride ions. The filter has millions of microscopic pores that are so tiny, so they are able to block most contaminants from passing through it.
- 1 What is the effectiveness of Berkey filters in removing fluoride?
- 2 What Else does Berkey Remove?
- 3 Berkey filter problems
- 4 How long does it take for big Berkey to filter water?
- 5 How long do the Black Berkey filters last?
- 6 How to Select the Berkey Model
- 7 How to test the Berkey system.
- 8 Can you use Berkey stem with a water softener system
- 9 Conclusion
What is the effectiveness of Berkey filters in removing fluoride?
One thing you should know about Berkey filters’ ability to remove fluoride is that when it’s new it is very efficient in removing fluoride. However, it begins to lose this ability after purifying a few gallons of water. This is why they introduced Berkey PF-2 elements which work in conjunction with the regular filter. It enhances the ability of the filter to remove fluoride. One PF-2 element is able to purify over 3,000 liters of water.
What Else does Berkey Remove?
Berkey water filter is also able to remove.
- Microorganism such as bacteria and viruses.
- Heavy metals such as lead, mercury copper and iron.
- Water disinfectants such as chlorine and chloramines
- Water disinfectants byproducts (THMs)
- Pesticides and other pharmaceuticals chemicals
- Hydrocarbons products and byproducts such oils and petrol
- Solid sediments
Berkey filter problems
- Many unauthorized sellers of Berkey filters – in case the filter fails to work the manufacturer will not replace it for you. Therefore, if you want to buy Berkey products make sure, you buy from only authorized sellers.
- Some cases of filter failure that need to be replaced. If you buy from an authorized seller, the manufacturer will replace them for you.
- Berkey filter ability to remove filter goes down quickly. To help improve the ability to eliminated fluoride for a long time you should add PF 2 fluoride filter.
- You will need to replace your PF 2 fluoride filter after processing 1,000 gallons of water.
- You cannot fill the Berkey water filter partial because this will increase the wear and tear of the system. The system needs to be filled up to the top of the filters.
- Some people have complained that the flow rate of the Berkey system is too slow. In most cases, this is because of high water tension which blocks air from being removed from the micro-pores a brand new system. To remove the air you will need to prime the element to unblock the pores. Read the installation manual on how to prim the filter.
How long does it take for big Berkey to filter water?
The flow rate of the Berkey filters will depend on which make you are using. The most popular models are Royal Berkey which has the capacity to use 4 filter elements and the Big Berkey which can use also uses 4 elements. The Big Berkey model has a maximum flow rate of gallons per hour. The Royal Berkey, on the other hand, has a maximum flow rate of 8 gallons per hour.
How long do the Black Berkey filters last?
The life of a Berkey system will depend on the number of filtering elements in the system. You should multiply the number of elements times 3,000 to find the life of the system in gallons. If the system has 4 elements the life will 3000 * 4= 12,000 gallons.
How to Select the Berkey Model
The factors you should consider when choosing the Berkey water filter model are.
How many gallons of water do you on a daily basis? Studies have shown that an average adult will consume half a gallon per day. So depending on the number of people in the house, you should do the math.
You should also take into consideration the holding capacity of each model. Models with bigger holding capacity are better because they will hold more in the store which will help you to caution you during peak demand.
You should also think of the flow rate of the model. The big Berkey has a maximum flow rate of 7.5 gallons per hour while the Royal Berkey has a maximum flow rate of 8.0 gallons.
After checking all these factors namely you demand, the holding capacity, and the flow rate of each unit pick a model that can handle the demand including your peak demand.
How to test the Berkey system.
You have just bought a brand new Berkey system and installed it, how do you test it to make sure it’s working properly. Well, fill the upper chamber of the system with water. Add food color (red is the best for testing). Wait for the water to move from the upper chamber to the lower chamber. If no food color is able to go through to the lower chamber, your system is working well.
Can you use Berkey stem with a water softener system
Some people know about the negative effects of soft water. To try and mitigate the risk that is associated with soft water, they filter softened water with the Berkey system. This is not effective because soft water has lots of salt that is added by the water softener which tends to wear out the Berkey filters pretty quickly. If you have installed a water softener, the best option would connect one tap such that it receives hard water. You can then use the Berkey system on the hard water.
The Berkey water filter systems are able to filter fluoride, but the ability to eliminated fluoride goes down very quickly. To enhance the ability you should augment the system with a PF-2 fluoride filter.
- Does Brita Filter Remove Fluoride?
- AquaTru vs. Berkey vs. Aquasana countertop water filter
- Do Refrigerator Water Filters Remove Fluoride?
- How to Remove Copper from Drinking Water