You never know how much you love soft, iron-free Water until you don’t have it. And you find yourself with clothes that never look clean and yellow toilet bowls.
The best water softener for iron removal will help get rid of the iron and the hardness quickly.
Best Water Softeners
Here’s the deal:
I have combed through hundreds of water softeners and shortlisted the best units being sold by good suppliers.
First, check out a comparison table below.
Top Water softener Reviews
Iron Pro 2 Combination- Good For Removing Iron
You may be wondering, why Iron pro 2 is so dependable while other water softeners for iron removal fail?
Well, it’s simple. This unit was made specifically with iron removal in mind. The makers of Iron Pro 2 developed it with a Fleck 5600SXT control head which is effective in iron removal. The Fleck 5600SXT has been proven to reduce iron from a high of 75gpg to a low as 6gpg. This will help you get rid of the “Sickening Yellowish Stains” in the sink, in the toilet, and in the shower.
Unlike some solutions that are pricey, you will not have to part with an “Arm and Leg” to get it. This is because in the market today, there are some units which are of the same performance going for over $ 3,000.
Iron Pro 2 Combo Softener Gives You…
- A way to reduce iron from “Unbearable Highs” to as low as 6gpg.
- Economizing the use of salt by only regenerating when a “Specific Amount” of water has been processed -unlike other units which are set to regenerate weekly or fortnightly regardless of the amount of water they have processed.
- A way to bypass the softener while it’s in maintenance while still having water throughout the house- avoid the inconveniences of not having water because softener is regenerating.
- A guarantee from the maker to repair or replace the control head for the first 5 years.
- Guarantee to repair or replace the tanks for 10 years.
What I like
As you may know, installing a softener is not that simple, but Iron pro 2 comes with a DIY installation manual which gives you step-by-step instructions and is super easy to follow and is better than most. Even if you are not very technically capable, you can follow the steps. In addition, there is also an installation demonstration video for the unit.
Most importantly, the customer service you’ll receive when you place an order includes a free phone consultation and email tech support is always available. I like the fact that each regeneration gives you 800 Gallons of water.
Not surprisingly, Iron pro 2 combination has lots of positive reviews of customers who have used it.
What I don’t like
I know how frustrating it is when you have a lot of iron and the water softener cannot keep up. Because of the bypass valve, during the regenerating cycle, the water you use will not be treated. So you can find yourself washing your white shirt with red water. Also, it’s kind of a pain getting the resin to its chamber.
- High flow rate
- Removes 75 gpg iron
- Meter based Regeneration
- Control head 5-year warranty
- Tank 10 years warranty
- Installation video
- Untreated water during the regeneration cycle
- It cumbersome refilling the resin.
Fleck 5600sxt Digital Metered Water softener-
The second item in our list is “Fleck 5600SXT Digital Metered Review” The reason for including this model is because it’s a solid model which uses Fleck 5600SXT digital head. One thing with this unit is it’s not pricey, so you will not have to break the bank to buy it.
When analyzing reviews for this product, I come across many positive reviews praising the customer service they received. Which is not surprising because the customer service is great. You will not only have prompt delivery, but you will also get someone contact you to ensure you received the product on time and give you instruction on installation over the phone.
In addition, like other units that use a digital meter, this unit is efficient because it uses a digital meter for regeneration. You will not be refilling salt every other time. It also comes with a pre-charged resin. Which makes it a great system for domestic and commercial users.
Fleck 5600sxt Digital Metered Gives you…
- Ability to remove “48,000 Grains of Hardness” before it requires regeneration -which is equal to 6.8 pounds of dissolved calcium and magnesium. This is a lot of hardness compared to other models.
- Allows you to turn off the water going to the softener while it’s on maintenance mode but still have water throughout the house. So If you ever want to use water while the softener is regenerating, it won’t be a big hassle.
- A way to measure the amount of dissolved calcium and magnesium that have been removed from the water, so as to regenerate when it needs to -which helps to maintain the effectiveness of the water descaler.
- Guarantee from the maker to repair or replace the control head for the first five years upon purchase. And ten years for the tanks.
- A way to keep running for 48 hours when the supply of electrical power is interrupted or is unstable. So if your electrical power is cut-off, you will still have soft water for 48 hours without requiring Gas or diesel-powered generators.
What I like
The customer care is great, and it is super easy to install. The Pre-charged resin saves you the hassle of refilling the resin tank when you first buy the Fleck 56,000.
What I don t like
It does not come with drainage tubing and You must buy one.
- Easy to install
- Prefilled Resin
- Great customer care
- Great price
- Highly rated
- You must buy drainage tubing
- Electrical outlet not readily available
- Installing the resin is a hassle
ABCwaters 48k-56sxt Pro
If you’re looking for a water softener for iron removal, ABCwaters 48k-56sxt Pro is sure to meet your expectation. It has the ability to remove 48,000 grains of hardness using a “Fine Mesh Resin filter” which is specifically made for high iron removal. In a nutshell, it’s both a water softener and iron filter.
As you know, there are lots of softeners on the market today, but few of them use “Fine Resin Mesh” which gives it a Superior ability to remove iron, calcium, and magnesium from water. “ABC Waters 48,000” works both as an iron filter as well as a water softener.
ABC-water Inc is one of the well-known brands that specialize in making water equipment. They pride themselves in using the highest quality materials and having great customers care.
ABC waters 48k-56sxt Pro Gives You…
- A way to remove up to “6-8 ppm of Iron” from water. This significantly improves the quality of water and gets rid of the nasty metallic smell of iron?
- Capacity to remove 6.8 pounds of dissolved calcium and magnesium before it is in need of regeneration (48,000 grains of hardness capacity)
- Step-by-step instruction for installing the softener that you can do without requiring the help of a professional plumber.
- An ability to bypass the water softener using a valve which is on top of the tank. This comes in handy when you don’t what to use the softener or when it is regenerating.
- Can serve a home with up to five people, or up to three bathrooms –It is higher than most units in the market today.
On buying ABCwater, it comes with an installation kit in the package together with DIY installation guide and water hardness test strips . Finally, when I was researching about this softener, I looked at the customer reviews. The overwhelming conclusion from most customers is that ABCwater produces extremely soft water. It is hard to come up with a negative review.
- Good for iron removal
- Bypass valve
- High capacity
- DIY installation
- A bit pricey
Aquasana- premium Rhino – Salt-Free Water Softner
The next water softener to look at is “Aquasana Rhino Premium” As you probably know, the Aquasana Inc Corporation has been one f the top water filtration system maker for decades. They’ve built a reputation for providing the best water filtration products.
Aquasana Rhino premium is a whole house water filter with a saltless water softener. It uses a “Sequenced Stage Filtration” which includes Sediment filter, starlight UV light, activated carbon, and salt-free softener.
The sequenced filtration process is capable of removing many of the contaminants found in water. When you buy Aquasana Rhino premium, you will have noticeably soft water. More importantly, you will have the convince of having clean drinking water in the entire house. In addition, if you have chloramine or chlorine in the water this system eliminates all these chemicals.
Aquasana Rhino Premium Give You…
- A way to soften water without using salt -therefore, saving a lot of water which is wasted by “Salt Using” once.
- A more effective way of killing viruses, bacteria and other micro-organisms that are found in water using ultraviolet light. This is better than other methods which use chemicals, and it’s cheaper.
- A way to reduce solid particles such as dust from water before softening, which is unlike other units that don’t have a sediment filter installed.
- A way to filter water using a variety of method such as mineral stones which helps in aeration.
- Uses micro-filtration to get rid of organic and sediment particles that are very small for other filtration methods. This ability is not available to units that don’t use Sub-micron post filter.
- Guarantee from Aquasana Inc corporation to repair or replace the units for 10 years.
- Bypass loop for easier filter change
- Pro Grade install kit which has the following things
What I Like
If the city you live in uses chloramine to treat its water, this system is one of the few water purification systems that eliminate chloramine. This system really gives clean fresh taste water.
What I don’t like
You will need to have a professional to install it if you don’t have plumbing experience. In addition, it kind off drops the water pressure, and it is a bit bigger.
- Great for commercial users because the cartridges last up to one million Gallons
- Eliminates a wide range of contaminants
- prevents mineral build up
- Pro-grade install kit
- Bypass loop to make it easier to change of filters.
- “Salt-Free” are not as effective as “Salt-Using” units in softening water.
- You might have to hire a plumber to install
- It is a bulky piece of equipment
- Not cheap
Watts RV PRO-1000 Portable- Is it the Best for Outdoors?
No review of water softeners would be complete without the inclusion of portable units which can be used in the outdoors.
For those who need a small and portable water softener, Watts RV PRO is a convenient, compact and portable RV type system.
The performance of watt RV is great. In fact, it works better than some the expensive whole house system in the market. More importantly, you can use table salt or the salt palates.
Watts RV pro Gives you…
- A more “Effective Regeneration” that expands its capacity by 50% compared to other outdoors units.
- A way to regenerate without having to disconnect the system ensuring that you never run out of water because the system is regenerating.
- Unlike other portable systems, it has a firm and secure base for standing.
- A way to softeners up to 4 Gallons per minute even if the inflow pressure is low.
- Conveniency of using common table salt which is readily available.
The bad news: this is not a big system that can serve as whole house unit. However, it’s works just as well. More importantly, it’s not very pricey compared to the others.
- Not expensive
- can run with both table salt or palate salt
- Manual recharging
- Limited size
Why does WaterBoss water softener have a lot of positive reviews?
Well, here’s the deal. WaterBoss uses less salt than almost then all the other models. You can enjoy the soft water for a long time without having to touch it.
More important is that when you install waterBoss the hardness in water is undetectable. It regenerates in 20 minutes. In addition, because it has an inbuilt filter, it removes iron and other contaminants from water.
- 36,400 Grains
- A flow rate of 15 GPM
- Meter Based self-cleaning
- 20 microns
- size 15.8 X 19.8 X 32 inches
- Color Beige
- Inbuilt conterminant and sediment filter
What I like
Water boss is suitable for a middle-sized home of three to seven people. The flow rate of 15 Gallons per minute is not bad. It uses less salt than any other product available on the market. You don’t need to be taking it apart to fix anything.
What I don’t like
Because the valve and other parts are not sealed, It is prone to leaking.
- Easy to install
- meter based
- inbuilt filter
- 15 Gallon per minute
- valves and other parts not sealed
- Short warrant of three years
Water Softeners Buying Guide
Water softeners work by water flowing over resin. The softeners contain several feet s of porous resin. Normally, a resin is covered with negative ions that attract positive ions that are usually in hard water.
Therefore, the +ve calcium and magnesium ions stick on the resin while sodium ions are released into the water.
Once the resin gets saturated with calcium and magnesium ions the unit must be regenerated by rinsing it with concentrated sodium chloride (salt) solution.
Therefore, people who use water softeners much add a bag of salt to the unit to prepare the rinsing solution.
Who Makes Fleck Water Softeners?
Many people falsely believe that Fleck is a water softener brand, but the correct position is that Fleck is the control valves that are installed on many water softeners brands. The company that makes fleck valves is known as Fleck Control Inc which is formerly known as Fleckenstein, Inc.
Fleck Control Inc is a subsidiary of Pentair Plc, incorporated Ireland and deals in “Water Treatment” and “Filtration Technologies.”
Fleck Controls Inc builds many control valves with the most popular being Fleck 56000, Fleck 2510, and Fleck 1500.
How do water softeners work?
What to consider when selecting water softeners for iron removal?
A limited amount of iron sticks on the surface resin. To enhance the amount of iron that sticks on the resin. A special fine mesh resin softener contains smaller bead which gives iron more surface to dissolve.
In addition to a fine mesh, resin cleaning the resin with a resin cleaner will ensure almost 100% iron removal.
The capacity of the water softeners
Because water softeners work by trading hard mineral in water for the soft mineral in water through ion exchange, the capacity is the amount of water a water softener will purify before it needs to be recharged.
Timer Regenerators- this types of softeners regenerator based on a timer, for example, once every 5 days. Meter Regenerator. These types of water softeners keep truck of the amount of water you’ve used. After you’ve reached a certain amount, it will automatically regenerate itself.
Although iron is a good material for construction, it has very many other uses like iron is found in the blood for transporting blood. Iron has atomic number 26 and weight 55.85. The melting point of iron is 1.536 C. Although iron can be toxic, you cannot intake such a big amount through water such that it becomes toxic. The acceptable level of iron in water is 0.3 milligrams per liter.
Traditional Iron Removal Methods
There exist several methods of removing iron from water other than using water softeners. The use of filters to remove iron has been used for a very long time. SOme of the filtration materials used include manganese greensand, Birm, MTM, and sand.
Iron filter have the limitation of that oxidation does not take place with speed and the surface area is limited. Water Softener Iron Removal Additive
Kdf media is a mixture of copper and zinc which is an effective absorbent material for many contaminants such as chlorine, bacteria, and algae. KDF-85 is a good filter for iron removal.
Water softeners FAQs
Thanks for stopping by. If you are looking for more information check out our post on the Best water softeners Frequently asked questions