I may receive a commission for purchases made through product links on this page, but I always stand by my opinions and endorsements!
After hours of research and digging through countless customer reviews to find out which is the best variable speed pool pump.
Read on to find out about other great pumps on the market today.
So, if you’re looking for the best solution for the money, I’ve got a ton of research and recommendation for you below.
(Here’s a quick overview of our top picks, first -:)
- Best VS Pump: Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump (Amazon)
- Also Great: Pentair 342001 SuperFlo Variable Speed (Amazon)
- Best High Capacity: Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo (Amazon)
When it comes to variable speed pumps, two of the most popular brands are Pentair vs Hayward. Between these two, they hold over 70% market share.
So, there can be no review of these machines without comparing Hayward vs Pentair Variable Speed Pumps which are the top two brands.
Hayward vs Pentair Variable Speed Pumps Compared
Best Variable Speed Pool Pump Reviews
Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump -Best Budget Pool Pump
As you know, there are lots of inground pool pumps on the market today, but few of them can go head to head with Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump when it comes to endurance. One look at this model and you’ll see it has endurance written all over it. On top of that, you don’t have to part with an arm and a leg to buy this pump. The initial investment required is a fraction of what others are going for.
In fact, there are pumps that are inferior to this model in terms of performance but cost double the cost. Lots of buyers have said that they really love its efficiency and dependability. It virtually does not require any maintenance after you have installed, it comes with a installation guide.
The Hayward super pump has such a durable design to run smoothly for many years. It has a large debris basket that can hold lots of debris, therefore, requiring less maintenance. I love the fact that it is super easy to install. And if you’ve got a pump that is already installed right now can utilize the existing wiring because you have the option of choosing either the 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 Horsepower model depending on your requirements.
With Hayward Super Pump you get…
- Durability and reliability: You can expect years of trouble-free service because of durable design and high-quality materials.
- Affordability and cost efficiency: You’ll not have to spend lots of money when it comes to the initial investment. And the running cost is not high.
- Requires minimum maintenance as it comes with a large debris basket that doesn’t require frequent emptying.
- Easy installation and servicing comes with installation guide.
Before we begin looking at the pros and cons, You should now that, although Hayward super pool pump is a single speed pump, it is such a great pump that is why it has remained a best seller for decades. It’s recommended by most pool experts. This pump has set the standard for other models on the market today. With that out of the way, let us now look at the pros and cons.
- Not pricey
- Low running costs
- Large debris basket
- Easy installation
- Single speed setting
Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS- Best Fairy Priced Variable Speed
As you probably know, variable speed technology tends to be a bit expensive. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo makes this remarkable technology available to ordinary pools at a reasonable price.
If you’re looking for the best variable speed pump for money, you should definitely have a look at this model. The Pentair 342001 has tons of great features. I love that you don’t need to embark on expensive rewiring because it instantly adapts to 115 and 230 volts power.
The pool company has made it with three programmable speeds and, it has an override capability. When I was researching on the reviews I noticed quite a few customers reported that they loved that it’s ultra-quiet. It’s used Totally enclosed fan-cooled TEFC motors; You can, therefore, be assured that it’s energy-efficient. Check a list of features and benefits you get from Pentair 342001.
With Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS you get…
- A way to save up to 80% in energy costs as a result of its energy efficiency.
- Avoid the expensive rewiring cost because it automatically works with your 115 volts or 230 volts
- Comes with three programmable speeds setting with an override ability
- Super easy to use control keypad.
- Very Quiet operation because it uses TEFC motor.
I’m not saying that Pentair 342001 is the perfect pump, it does have some issues as I come across a customer who complained that he had problem with priming after staying overnight. Bear in mind that most people who installed this unit did notice a substantial reduction in the electricity bill. Check out the pros and cons of Pentair 342001 below.
- Easy installation
- Easy to operate
- Easy on your ears
- Cheap to operate
- Not pricey
- Some complaint about warranty problem
Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed -Best High Capacity
In this comprehensive review of Pentair IntelliFlo variable, I will cover all the major features of this outstanding variable speed pool pump and provide an in-depth understanding of how it functions and how to compares to others.
If you are looking for a major way to save on your energy costs, you should have a look at this model. In fact, if you’re using a single-speed or two-speed pool pump, you can expect to save up to 90% on your energy cost.
In addition to that, this unit is ultra-quiet when it’s pumping. Unlike other pumps that produce lots of noise, you can’t detect any noise from this model. when it’s operating at low speed, it gives out 45 decibels which are hardly noticeable to the human ear.
With Pentair 011028 You Get…
- Away to reduce your energy costs by 90% if you’re using a traditional pump.
- Markedly reduced noise levels of as low as 45 decibels when operating at low speeds.
- Powerful performance because its 3 horsepower operations making dramatically faster when it’s operating on high speed.
- It gives you 8-speed settings for maximum flexibility to allow the pump to perform a task quickly depending on the workload. You can choose the speed you need from the 8-speed settings.
- Self-adjusting allows the pump to sustain the best flow rate; therefore, working more quickly and saving on energy consumption.
- Built-in self-diagnostic functionality which allows it to work around any problem that might come around.
- Easy to understand and operate LCD display from where you can adjust the settings.
I’m not saying that Pentair 011028 is the perfect pool pump, it does have some shortcomings. For example, when I was researching the reviews, I did come across some guys who complained that the instructions are not clear. And some customers complained about the pool company warranty period if it’s not installed by a professional. Having said that, it doesn’t mean that it’s not a great inground pool pump. So, with that out of the way let’s jump in and check out the pros and cons of this pool pump.
- Powerful operations
- 8-speed settings
- Inbuilt self-diagnostic feature
- Easy to operate LCD display
- 3 horsepower operation
- Some complaints of instructions not being very clear.
Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo Variable Speed
The Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS is one of the best entry-level variable speed pumps on the market today. Unlike other variable speed pumps, like Pentair 011028, which are 3.0 horsepower, this is a 1.5 horsepower pump. It’s, therefore, more suitable for small pools or above ground pool.
Due to its electric motor being enclosed such that it doesn’t allow air to freely circulate through and through the motor, it’s very energy efficient. I love the fact that it’s available in both 230V and 115V.
Its user interface is fully programmable. And it’s able to move around 360 degrees and can also be affixed on top of a wall. Giving the user lots of conveniences.
Features and Benefits of Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS
- Uses variable-speed technology which results in reduced energy costs. Because of the saving in energy costs, it is able to pay for itself.
- It’s available in either 115V or 230V variant
- Uses a technology known as TEFC which stands for Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled which adds to its energy efficiency.
- A user interface that is fully programmable and easy to handle.
- 80% energy saving, and has a energy star.
The Hayward SP2303VSP is for those looking to have the best entry-level variable speed (VS) pool pump. It doesn’t come cheap, but in all fairness, the amount you save in reduced energy cost will pay for it quickly. Lets now jump in and look at the pros and cons of this model.
- Variable speed settings
- 80% energy saving
- Available in 115V or 230V
- Fully programmable user interface
- Control can be mounted on a wall for ease of access
- A bit pricey
Vaviable Speed Pump FAQs
What RPM should I run My Variable Speed Pool Pump?
What are the Benefits of Variable Speed Pool Pump?
How long do VS Pool Pump last
How big of a pump do I need for my pool?
Should the pool pump run continuously?
- Best Electric Pool Heaters for Inground Pools Review 2019
- Best RV Water Pump (Reviews & Buying Guide 2019)
- Best Pool Vacuum for Dirt (Reviews & Buying Guide 2019)
ABOUT LEON SMITH
Leon is a Thirty-something-year-old blogger from Mauritius who is currently studying for a Master’s degree in chemical and processing Engineering. Read more about him.
IN THIS POST
- 1 Hayward vs Pentair Variable Speed Pumps Compared
- 2 Best Variable Speed Pool Pump Reviews
- 3 Vaviable Speed Pump FAQs