Having Chlorine and chloramine in your bathing water is not good for your skin and hair.
Chlorine and Chloramines are added to the water to kill germs. However, they have a negative effect on your skin and hair.
This is why you should install the best shower filter for chloramine and chlorine. It makes your skin look younger, and your hair feeling great.
So let’s jump right in…
In this post, I’ll walk you through the best shower filters for removing chloramines and chlorine. I’ve combed through hundreds of shower filters and shortlisted the best.
Let’s dive into the research and our top picks.
Here’s a quick summary, first:
- 1 Best Shower Filters 2019
- 1.1 Sonaki Inline Water Filter Shower – The Best Vitamin-C Shower Filter
- 1.2 AquaBliss High Output Universal- Best Shower Filter for Hard Water
- 1.3 Pelican Water PSF-1NH 3-Stage- Best for Chlorine & Prevention of Hair Loss
- 1.4 Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower -Best for Hard Water
- 1.5 Berkey shower filter- Berkey Shower Filter WITHOUT Shower Head
- 1.6 UBS Vita Fresh
- 1.7 HotelSpa Fusion- With Refillable Vitamin-C Cartridges
- 1.8 Bath & Relax Filtered HandHeld system- For hair and skin
- 2 What to consider when before buying a shower filter?
- 3 What is the difference between chlorine vs chloramine?
- 4 There are three types of water filters cartridges.
- 5 Chloramines shower filter reviews
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Best Shower Filters 2019
Sonaki Inline Water Filter Shower – The Best Vitamin-C Shower Filter
Vitamin-C, also known as ascorbic acid, is an extremely powerful antioxidant and has been proven to remove 99% of chloramines and chlorine from water.
Sonaki inline vitamin-C is one of the best selling vitamin-C shower filters in the market today. This Korean made filter is fitted with a durable cartridge which is able to purify 5, 000 liters or 11000 Gallons Per Cartridge. On buying the Sonaki inline, it comes with 3 cartridges.
If wondering why this filter is so much popular than other similar products. Well, it’s a great filter that gives the water of the highest quality. In addition, it’s an inline filter, therefore, you can just attach it to you existing shower-head. Removes 99% of chlorine and chloramines leaving you with soft clean water.
Sonaki vitamin C gives you…
- A way to remove 99.9% of poisonous chemicals such as chlorine & chloramine that damage your skin and hair.
- A way to Nourish your skin with vitamin c which has lots of benefits to the skin -it helps in production collagen -It protects skin from aging and removes free radicals from the skin and prevent skin conditions such as eczema.
- Ability to attach it to any showerhead -this’s great because you don’t have to replace your existing showerhead if don’t want.
- Three extra vitamin C cartridges each with the capacity to filter 5,000 liters each.
- You will never run out of vitamin-c without noticing because of transparent housing.
- A hassle-free way to install and replace filters -you don’t need the help of anyone to replace cartridges.
Finally, Sonaki uses 100% natural vitamin. Each cartridge has 25,500 mg of vitamin-C which is approximately equal to 500 oranges.
- Durable and does not break easily
- Comes with a wrench for changing filters
- It comes with three vitamin c filters
- Sometimes water is trapped inside the filter. Thus, finishing vitamin-c
AquaBliss High Output Universal- Best Shower Filter for Hard Water
Another popular filter in the market today is the High Output Universal Shower filter by AquaBliss.
This shower filter uses advanced level of purification to remove chlorine, chloramines heavy metals, bacteria pesticides, fungi, and algae. You can be sure when you install this shower filter, your level of hygiene will go a level higher.
It uses a combination of calcium sulfite, KDF-55, and activated carbon. Because of this combination, the unit is able to filter both hot and cold water. Activated carbon is good at filtering out chlorine and a wide range of contaminants from water; thus, improving the quality of the water. Your water will feel softer and soap will lather up easily.
AquaBliss High Output Gives You…
- A way to improve your hygiene by removing contaminants such as bacteria, pesticides, fungi, and mold.
- A way of rejuvenating your skin and hair.
- Filter both hot and cold water
- Filters cartridges that last for 8 months
- A way to reduce dry itchy skin, dandruff, and eczema.
High Output Universal shower head is designed to be an inline shower filet, and because of its universal connection, it is able to be attached to any kind of shower head including fixed, handheld and rain shower heads. Finally, it’s super easy to install and you don’t need any tool to install it.
- can work with any type of shower heads
- able to filter both hot and cold water
- Multi-stage filtration
- Super easy to install
- Improves hygiene in the bathrooms
- Does not remove the sulfur smell.
- Does not filter chloramine to a large extent
Pelican Water PSF-1NH 3-Stage- Best for Chlorine & Prevention of Hair Loss
Pelican company has been one of the top manufacturers of water filters for decades. They’ve built a great reputation with their quality of products which is among the best in the world.
The performance of PSF-1NH 3 Stage confirms why the company’s products are so popular with informed customers. It uses a 3 stage filtration process that removes almost all chemicals from water.
It is comes attached to a dual flow shower-head, so you can switch between high-flow and water conservation. It has an aromatherapy features that produces a refreshing ocean breeze scent.
To increase the water pressure, this model has a unique up design that ensures consistency of water flow rate.
While it may not be the cheapest shower-head on the market, Pelican PSF is certainly has a great price point, thank’s to its long-lasting cartridges that can last 15,000 gallons, ocean breeze scent bar for refreshing aromatherapy, and 3-stage filtration that purify water.
Pelican PSF Gives You…
- A way to remove stubborn contaminants like chloramines, and bad odor. The quality of water is incredibly good which helps your skin and hair look great.
- A way to give delightful fragrances that leaves you feeling refreshed after taking a shower. This is a unique feature that is hard to come by.
- Consistently gives high pressure while conserving water because of unique up-flow design.
- Available in white and chrome finish
- The ability to give the user the choice to switch between high pressure and water saving modes using a switch. Most shower filters don’t have this flexibility.
Quite a few real-life customers have reported that it was hard getting replacement filters although most customers appreciate improved quality of water, easy installation, and long lasting filters. Conclusion: This is a great filter that uses a combination of carbon filtration to get rid of many contaminants.
- Eliminate bad smell
- Has an aromatherapy feature
- Easy to install
- Great Pressure
- Reduced flow rate at 1.5 GPM
Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower -Best for Hard Water
More importantly, the simple design maintenance the water pressure.
The high pressure is also enhanced by the up-flow design structure also ensures consistency of pressure by preventing backflow. In addition, the cartridges are quite reliable and last up to 10,000 gallons.
Aquasana AQ-4100 gives you…
- A way to remove poisonous substances from water- using a blend of copper, zinc, and carbon.
- A simple design that prevents backflow and increases pressure.
- 10,000 gallons of purified water per filter – this among the most reliable filters in the market today.
- A way to quickly change filters even if you don’t have experience using shower filters.
- Removes chlorine and bacteria
- Great pressure
- Easy installation
- Reports of leaking
- Limited Spray options
Berkey shower filter- Berkey Shower Filter WITHOUT Shower Head
In the field of water filters, the Berkey company is among the top manufacturer. It makes such popular product such as Berkey counter-top filter.
Berkey uses a blend of KDF and calcium sulfate which makes it Perfect for eliminating chlorine, dirt, and odors. This combination of filtration agents ensures that it’s effective hot and cold water.
Each cartridge last 20,000 gallons making it among the longest lasting cartridges. It has a back flush attachment to prevent clogging. Installation is super easy and you can do it in a minute because it involves just screwing the filter on the shower holder.
Features and Specs
- Backflush attachment to prevent clogging
- Cartridges last 20,000 which is among the most durable in the market
- Combines KDF and Calcium sulfate for removing chlorine and odor
- Easy to replace filters
- Easy to install
- Not expensive
- Long lasting cartridges
- Does not remove chloramines
- Limited spray patterns
UBS Vita Fresh
Another popular vitamin c unit is UBS vita fresh. It’s not without cause that it has countless positive reviews from buyers who have tried it. It is one of the most versatile product in this category.
It’s among the few filters that use both vitamin-C and activated carbon. Vitamin-c neutralizes chloramines while activated carbon gets rid of chlorine and organic chemicals.
Consequently, the blend of vitamin-C and carbon enables UBS to remove lots of contaminants eg chlorine, chloramines, and organic compounds.
Few vitamin-c shower filters can rival vita fresh when it comes to the durability of cartridges. Its filters can last up to 10,000 liters. Finally, UBS vita from uses pharmaceutical grade vitamin-C, so you can be sure it is safe to use.
Features and Specs
- Pharmaceutical grade vitamin-c to help in nourishing the skin and hair
- Transparent vitamin-c casing, so it easy to detect when the vitamin is depleted
- Filter life of 10,000 liters or 2641 gallons
- Product Dimensions: 2 X 2 X 4.2
- Filters with both vitamin-c and carbon, so it can remove a wide range of contaminants
Looking at the customer reviews. While there were some few complains that UBS is made from plastic and it leaks easily, the general consensus by a majority of customers is that it’s a great product with healthy skin and hair. Use this link to see the real reviews here.
- Uses both vitamin and carbon
- Removes free radicals that cause eczema
- Cartridges last longer
- Transparent housing, so you know when the filters need to be replaced
- Neutralizes both chlorine and chloramines
- Universal connection
- Made of plastic, so there is a risk of it breaking up
- Lower pressure
HotelSpa Fusion- With Refillable Vitamin-C Cartridges
HotelSpa Fusion is a refillable vitamin-C filter. It has a great design that looks amazing.
A super easy to refill the cartridges and it can be done just a minute. It has 7 high sprays to give the user high powered spray variety. It’s easy to install and you can install your self without needing an expert.
It comes with extra flexible stainless steel hose which is easy to maneuver. In addition, it has an angle bracket to help adjust the overhead unit.
Features and Spec
- Refillable vitamin-C cartridges, so don’t have to keep on buying new cartridges every time.
- Handheld Vitamin-C filtration system
- 7 spray settings ranging from pulsating massage to economy rain
- 5′ stainless steel hose
- One year supply of vitamin C powder
when I was researching this HotelSpa fusion Vitamin-C review, I noticed that a few customers complained that the vitamin-C runs out quickly. But, the overwhelming majority said that it works well and the water quality was great.
- Refillable cartridges
- Rich spray patterns that work well
- Comes with one year supply of food grade vitamin-C
- Flexible stainless steel hose
- Adjustable overhead bracket
- Vitamin-C runs out quickly
Bath & Relax Filtered HandHeld system- For hair and skin
As you know, there are lots of shower filters on the market today, but few of them use mineral ball filtration. These balls use negative ions to soften water. Thus, Bath & Relax handheld shower-head will be great for you if soft water is what you are looking for.
I know how uncomfortable it is when showering courses your skin to start itching, or hair loss. Which is why I’ve included this product because it really makes a big difference.
One look at Bath and Relax shower-head and you will realize how unique this handheld system is. In addition, it uses a micro nozzle mechanism to help in water conservation.
Features and Specs
- Uses bio-active stones to help soften hard water that makes your hair silky
- A micro-nozzle mechanism for water conservation
- 30-day money back guarantee
- 3 sprays patterns: rainfall, massage and jetting
- Makes the water soft and lathers well
- 30 days money back guarantee
- Conserves water
- Easy installation
- Reports of leakage
- Expensive to replace the mineral stones
- Rim is plastic made
What to consider when before buying a shower filter?
- The lifespan of the filter
- Availability of replacement filters
- Real life performance( reviews)
- Removes Chlorine or chloramine
- Contaminants reduced or removed
- Ease of use: installation, filter cartridge replacement
- You should know what you need to filter out of the water. This because the quality of water differs from one place to another.
What is the difference between chlorine vs chloramine?
Compared to chlorine, chloramine is not as reliable in killing germs Unlike chlorine, chloramine stays longer in the water longer Chloramine is stubborn to remove from water Unlike chlorine, chloramine is more stable and does not react with other chemicals
There are three types of water filters cartridges.
- Multi-level carbon filters
- Kdf filters
- Vitamin c filters
- Impregnated granular activated carbon will take care of chlorine, VOCs and organics
Chloramines shower filter reviews
Strictly speaking, there are three compounds that go by the name chloramine: monochloramine, dichloramine and trichloramine with the following chemical formulas respectively NH2CL2, NHCL2, and NCL2. These molecules are a combination of ammonia and chlorine. As a grouped, they are referred to as chloramines because their molecules oscillate between the three formations.
When disinfects added to water mix with organic chemicals in water, they produce some byproducts. These byproducts are unhealthy. To protect public health, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) introduced a rule regulating the levels of byproducts acceptable in water.
Consequently, Some cities such as NYC adopted chloramines as a disinfectant because it has few by-products compared to chlorine so as to comply with this rules.
What are the Benefits of using a shower filter system?
- Reduces chlorine
- Makes water softer
- Stops bacteria and viruses
- Reduces harmful chemicals
- Make drinking water safe for children
Why should you remove chloramines from water?
- It can trigger breathing problems if you inhale the chloramine vapor.
- It damages the skin
- Exposure to chloramine can cause hair loss
- Long-term exposure to chloramine has been shown to cause asthma
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If You are looking for more information on shower filters check out