- 1 Best Shower Filters for Chloramine and Chlorine 2020
- 1.1 Sante ULTIMATE Dual Shower Filter for Chloramine
- 1.2 Sonaki Inline Water Filter Shower – Vitamin-C Shower Filter
- 1.3 AquaBliss High Output Universal- Best Shower Filter for Hard Water
- 1.4 Pelican Water PSF-1NH 3-Stage Shower Filter – Best for Chlorine & Prevention of Hair Loss
- 1.5 Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Filter-Best for Hard Water
- 1.6 UBS Vita Fresh Vitamin C Shower Filter
- 1.7 HotelSpa Fusion Shower Filter - With Refillable Vitamin-C Cartridges
- 1.8 Bath & Relax Filtered Handheld Shower Filter - For hair and skin
- 1.9 Sprite HO2-WH shower filter
- 1.10 Berkey shower filter- Berkey Shower Filter WITHOUT Shower Head
- 1.11 Other Recommended Chloramine shower filters
- 2 What to consider when before buying a shower filter?
- 3 What is the difference between chlorine vs chloramine?
- 4 There are three types of water filters cartridges.
- 5 What is chloramine?
- 6 Chloramine Shower Filter FAQs
I may receive a commission for purchases made through product links on this page, but I always stand by my opinions and endorsements!
Having Chlorine and chloramine in your bathing water is harmful to your skin and hair. Chlorine and Chloramines are added to the water to kill germs. However, they negatively affect the skin and hair.
This is why you should install the best shower filter for chloramine and chlorine. It makes your skin look younger, and your hair feeling great.
Let’s dive right in…
After combing through hundreds of shower filters reviews and spending hours researching the best shower filters for chloramine and chlorine, I think the following are the best for most people.
(Here’s a quick summary, of our top picks)
Best Shower Filters for Chloramine and Chlorine 2020
Sante ULTIMATE Dual Shower Filter for Chloramine
Our Chloramine shower filter review highlights this new ultimate dual KDF shower filter that removes chloramine, heavy metals, and unstable organic compounds from water.
Sante set out to create the most efficient shower filter, at the best possible price to the buyer.
In fact, unlike most shower filters that are not able to remove stubborn contaminants such as fluoride, this shower filter is able to remove up to half of the fluoride present in water.
Because Sante contains a large amount of KDF, it’s able to remove a large number of contaminants from water. Common contaminants include chloramine, chlorine, fluoride, heavy metals, and volatile organic matter. Ultimate Dual-use activated catalytic carbon to remove chloramine.
Is the Sante ULTIMATE for You
Buy the Sante Ultimate dual if you like:
- Great water pressure: Because water goes through both sides of the filter, the shower filter reduces the amount of time that water spends with filtration media. This ensures that the filter will not reduce water pressure.
- The only KDF shower filter is able to remove chloramine. Unlike vitamin c shower filter which needs you to add vitamin c regularly, ultimate dual doesn’t.
- Dual Turbo action: You will not lose any water pressure because water comes in through both sides of the shower filter.
- Removes 99% chlorine: most cities put chlorine in their water. Chlorine is very harmful to your skin because it makes it dry and itchy. This is one of the best shower filters for chlorine.
- Long-lasting replacement filters: Because KDF and activated catalytic carbon don’t run out quickly the filter cartridges are long-lasting. You will not need to replace the filter for a year.
- super easy to install or replace Sante water filters.
You must be asking yourself what are the downside of this chloramine shower filter. Well, as I was researching on customer reviews I did come across some people who side that the claim that each filter can last up to one year is a bit optimistic. Taking that into consideration, it’s still a good offer compared to other products even if the filter was to get depleted in Six months. Lets now dive in and check the pros and cons of this Sante Ultimate Dual Shower Filter.
Sonaki Inline Water Filter Shower – Vitamin-C Shower Filter
Vitamin-C, also known as ascorbic acid, is an extremely powerful antioxidant and has been proven to remove 99% of chloramines and chlorine from water.
Sonaki inline vitamin-C is one of the best selling vitamin-C shower filters in the market today. This Korean made filter is fitted with a durable cartridge that is able to purify 5, 000 liters or 11000 Gallons Per Cartridge. On buying the Sonaki inline, The filter comes with 3 cartridges.
If wondering why this filter is so much popular than other similar products. Well, it’s a great filter that gives the water of the highest quality. In addition, it’s an inline filter, therefore, you can just attach the filter to your existing shower-head. Removes 99% of chlorine and chloramines leaving you with soft clean water.
Sonaki vitamin C gives you…
- A way to remove 99.9% of poisonous chemicals such as chlorine & chloramine that damage your skin and hair.
- A way to Nourish your skin with vitamin c which has lots of benefits to the skin -it helps in production collagen -It protects skin from aging and removes free radicals from the skin and prevent skin conditions such as eczema.
- Ability to attach the filter to any showerhead -this’s great because you don’t have to replace your existing showerhead if don’t want.
- Three extra vitamin C cartridges each with the capacity to filter 5,000 liters each.
- You will never run out of vitamin-c without noticing because of transparent housing.
- A hassle-free way to install and replace filters -you don’t need the help of anyone to replace cartridges.
Finally, Sonaki uses 100% natural vitamin. Each cartridge has 25,500 mg of vitamin-C which is approximately equal to 500 oranges.
AquaBliss High Output Universal- Best Shower Filter for Hard Water
Another popular chloramine shower filter in the market today is the High Output Universal Shower filter by AquaBliss.
This shower filter uses an advanced level of purification to remove chlorine, chloramines heavy metals, bacteria pesticides, fungi, and algae. You can be sure when you install this shower filter, your level of hygiene will go a level higher.
The shower filter uses a combination of calcium sulfite, KDF-55, and activated carbon. Because of this combination, the unit is able to filter both hot and cold water. Activated carbon is good at filtering out chlorine and a wide range of contaminants from water; thus, improving the quality of the water. Your water will feel softer and soap will lather up easily.
AquaBliss High Output Gives You…
- A way to improve your hygiene by removing contaminants such as bacteria, pesticides, fungi, and mold.
- A way of rejuvenating your skin and hair.
- Filter both hot and cold water
- Filters cartridges that last for 8 months
- A way to reduce dry itchy skin, dandruff, and eczema.
High Output Universal shower head is designed to be an inline shower filet, and because of its universal connection, The shower filter is able to be attached to any kind of showerhead including fixed, handheld and rain showerheads. Finally, it’s super easy to install and you don’t need any tool to install it.
Pelican Water PSF-1NH 3-Stage Shower Filter – Best for Chlorine & Prevention of Hair Loss
Pelican company has been one of the top manufacturers of water shower filters for decades. They’ve built a great reputation with the quality of their shower flters which is among the best in the world.
The performance of the PSF-1NH 3 Stage shower filter confirms why the company’s products are so popular with informed customers. It uses a 3 stage filtration process that removes almost all chemicals from water.
It is comes attached to a dual flow shower-head, so you can switch between high-flow and water conservation. It has an aromatherapy features that produces a refreshing ocean breeze scent.
To increase the water pressure, this model has a unique up design that ensures consistency of water flow rate.
While it may not be the cheapest shower-head on the market, Pelican PSF is certainly has a great price point, thank’s to its long-lasting cartridges that can last 15,000 gallons, ocean breeze scent bar for refreshing aromatherapy, and 3-stage filtration that purify water.
Pelican PSF Gives You…
- A way to remove stubborn contaminants like chlorine, and bad odor. The quality of water is incredibly good which helps your skin and hair look great.
- A way to give delightful fragrances that leaves you feeling refreshed after taking a shower. This is a unique feature that is hard to come by.
- Consistently gives high pressure while conserving water because of unique up-flow design.
- Showe filter is available in white and chrome finish
- The ability to give the user the choice to switch between high pressure and water-saving modes using a switch. Most shower filters don’t have this flexibility.
Quite a few real-life customers have reported that the it was hard getting replacement filters for the shower head although most customers appreciate the improved quality of water, easy installation, and long-lasting filters. Conclusion: This is a great shower filter that uses a combination of carbon filtration to get rid of many contaminants.
Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Filter-Best for Hard Water
If you have done your research, you may be wondering why Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe is such a popular unit with positive reviews after positive reviews. Well, It’s simple. It’s very effective in removing chlorine from water.
More importantly, the AQ-4100 deluxe shower filters simple design enables it to maintain the water pressure.
The high pressure is also enhanced by the up-flow design structure also ensures consistency of pressure by preventing backflow. In addition, the cartridges are quite reliable and last up to 10,000 gallons. One thing you should know because it mainly uses carbon filtration it doesn’t substantially remove chloramine.
Aquasana AQ-4100 gives you…
- A way to remove poisonous substances from water- using a blend of copper, zinc, and carbon.
- A simple design that prevents backflow and increases pressure.
- 10,000 gallons of purified water per filter – this among the most reliable filters in the market today.
- A way to quickly change filters even if you don’t have experience using shower filters.
When I was researching for the Aquasana shower filler review, some reports of leaking were reported by customers. But the overall conclusion of most buyers was an overwhelming consensus that Aquasana AQ-4100 is an effective product.
UBS Vita Fresh Vitamin C Shower Filter
Another popular vitamin c unit is UBS vita fresh. It’s not without cause that it has countless positive reviews from buyers who have tried it. It is one of the most versatile shower filter in this category.
It’s among the few filters that use both vitamin-C and activated carbon. Vitamin-c neutralizes chloramines while activated carbon gets rid of chlorine and organic chemicals.
Consequently, the blend of vitamin-C and carbon enables UBS to remove lots of contaminants eg chlorine, chloramines, and organic compounds.
Few vitamin-c shower filters can rival vita fresh when it comes to the durability of cartridges. Its filters can last up to 10,000 liters. Finally, UBS vita from uses pharmaceutical grade vitamin-C, so you can be sure it is safe to use.
Features and Specs
- Pharmaceutical grade vitamin-c to help in nourishing the skin and hair
- Transparent vitamin-c casing, so it easy to detect when the vitamin is depleted
- Filter life of 10,000 liters or 2641 gallons
- Able to filter out chloramine
- Product Dimensions: 2 X 2 X 4.2
- Filters with both vitamin-c and carbon, so it can remove a wide range of contaminants
Looking at the customer reviews. While there were some few complains that UBS is made from plastic and it leaks easily, the general consensus by a majority of customers is that it’s a great product with healthy skin and hair. Use this link to see the real reviews here.
HotelSpa Fusion Shower Filter - With Refillable Vitamin-C Cartridges
HotelSpa Fusion is a refillable handheld vitamin-C filter. It has a great design that looks amazing, and is able to neutralize harmful chemicals such as chloramine.
A super easy to refill the cartridges and it can be done just a minute. It has 7 high sprays to give the user high powered spray variety. It's easy to install and you can install your self without needing an expert.
It comes with extra flexible stainless steel hose which is easy to maneuver. In addition, it has an angle bracket to help adjust the overhead unit.
Features and Spec
- Refillable vitamin-C cartridges, so don't have to keep on buying new cartridges every time.
- Able to remove chloramine using vitamin c
- Handheld Vitamin-C filtration system
- 7 spray settings ranging from pulsating massage to economy rain
- 5' stainless steel hose
- One year supply of vitamin C powder
when I was researching this HotelSpa fusion Vitamin-C review, I noticed that a few customers complained that the vitamin-C runs out quickly. But, the overwhelming majority said that the shower filter works well and the water quality was great and it remove chloramine.
Bath & Relax Filtered Handheld Shower Filter - For hair and skin
As you know, there are lots of shower filters on the market today, but few of them use mineral ball filtration. These balls use negative ions to soften water. Thus, Bath & Relax handheld shower-head will be great for you if soft water is what you are looking for.
I know how uncomfortable it is when showering courses your skin to start itching, or hair loss. Which is why I've included this product because it really makes a big difference.
One look at Bath and Relax shower-head and you will realize how unique this handheld system is. In addition, it uses a micro nozzle mechanism to help in water conservation.
Features and Specs
- Uses bio-active stones to help soften hard water that makes your hair silky
- A micro-nozzle mechanism for water conservation
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 3 sprays patterns: rainfall, massage and jetting
Sprite HO2-WH shower filter
Sprite HO2-WH shower filter removes up to 99% of chlorine in the water. It also removes sediments, dirt, rust, and other unwanted substances in water. Furthermore, it comes with a showerhead that you can choose to use, or you can continue using your old showerhead.
Unlike the others, Sprite HO2-WH can last for 12 months. This makes them the most durable cartridges on the market. Each cartridge can clean 20,000 gallons of water.
Additionally, Sprite shower replacement cartridges are available at a reasonable price compared to others. Replacing cartridges pretty easy because you are just required to unscrew the filter and remove the old cartridge and replace it with a new one and screw back the system.
What I like
Further, It comes with a Teflon tape which you should wrap on the threads. to prevent water from leaking out and to make sure it is fixed properly. If you live where your water smells using Sprite HO2-WH shower filter is a good option. Carbon, KDF-55.
Chlorgon systems are also good for water gotten fro boreholes because carbon is very efficient in filtering out sediments and other water-soluble heavy metals, and it removes the terrible smell from water.
Also, Sprite is a reputable brand with a proven track record of making good quality products. Therefore, you can have some confidence that the shower filter does what it says it does.
Finally, Sprite HO2- WH is good for traveling. Therefore, if you don’t want safe water for showering when staying in a motel, You can carry this product.
Berkey shower filter- Berkey Shower Filter WITHOUT Shower Head
In the field of water filters, the Berkey company is among the top manufacturer. It makes such popular products such as the Berkey countertop filter.
Berkey shower filter uses a blend of KDF and calcium sulfate which makes it Perfect for eliminating chlorine, chloramine, dirt, and odors. This combination of filtration agents ensures that it's effective hot and cold water.
Each cartridge lasts 20,000 gallons making it among the longest-lasting cartridges. the shower filter has a backflush attachment to prevent clogging.
Features and Specs Berkey shower filter
- Backflush attachment to prevent clogging
- Cartridges last 20,000 which is among the most durable in the market
- Combines KDF and Calcium sulfate for removing chlorine and chloramine
- Easy to replace filters
Installation is super easy and you can do it in a minute because to install the shower filter involves just screwing the filter on the shower holder.
Other Recommended Chloramine shower filters
What to consider when before buying a shower filter?
- The lifespan of the shower filter
- Availability of replacement filters
- Real-life performance of the shower filter( reviews)
- Removes Chlorine or chloramine
- Types of chemicals the shower filter is able to handle e.g iron or chloramine
- Ease of use: installation, filter cartridge replacement of the shower filter
- You should know what you need to filter out of the water. This because the quality of water differs from one place to another.
What is the difference between chlorine vs chloramine?
Compared to chlorine, chloramine is not as reliable in killing germs Unlike chlorine, chloramine stays longer in the water longer Chloramine is stubborn to remove from water Unlike chlorine, chloramine is more stable and does not react with other chemicals
There are three types of water filters cartridges.
- Multi-level carbon shower filters
- Kdf shower filters
- Vitamin c shower filters
- Impregnated granular activated carbon will take care of chlorine, VOCs and organics
What is chloramine?
Strictly speaking, there are three compounds that go by the name chloramine: monochloramine, dichloramine and trichloramine with the following chemical formulas respectively NH2CL2, NHCL2, and NCL2. These molecules are a combination of ammonia and chlorine to form chloramine. As grouped, they are referred to as chloramines because their molecules oscillate between the three formations.
When disinfects added to water mix with organic chemicals in water, they produce some byproducts. These byproducts are unhealthy. To protect public health, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) introduced a rule regulating the levels of byproducts acceptable in water.
Consequently, some cities such as NYC adopted chloramines as a disinfectant because it has few by-products compared to chlorine so as to comply with these rules.
What are the Benefits of using a shower filter system?
- Reduces chlorine and chloramine
- Makes water softer
- Stops bacteria and viruses
- Reduces harmful chemicals
- Make drinking water safe for children
Why should you remove chloramines from water?
- It can trigger breathing problems if you inhale the chloramine vapor.
- It damages the skin
- Exposure to chloramine can cause hair loss
- Long-term exposure to chloramine has been shown to cause asthma
Chloramine Shower Filter FAQs
A shower filter is a device that is used to remove contaminants like chloramine and Chlorine from the water. A shower filter is normally attached to the showerhead. Unlike a whole house water filter, a shower filter is a point of use filter. Meaning filtration takes place when water reaches the showerhead.
Shower filters are made with filtration media. As water flows through the showerhead, contaminants such as chemicals like chloramine and sediments are removed. The most common filtration media used include carbon, KDF, and Vitamin C. Most shower filters use a multi-stage process to purify water. If you’ve stubborn contaminants such as chloramine you will need to use vitamin c shower filters.
Putting chlorine and chloramine in drinking water is a wonder of modern science because the shower filter does a good job of fighting water-borne diseases like cholera and typhoid.
But, when chlorine or chloramine is in the shower water is not so healthy it erodes the protective oil layer that is found in the skin and hair.
The stripping of the oil layer leaves your skin feeling dry, and it weakens your hair. Chlorine and chloramines are disinfectants, and their primary function of disinfectant is to kill living things. Chlorine does an excellent job of killing pathogens found in water.
However, you don’t want chlorine to enter your body through the skin. Filtering shower water is the most effective method of removing chlorine from your water.
There are many types of shower filters. The type is determined by the filtration media that each uses. Example shower filters include the following.
Activated Carbon- Carbon is the most absorbent substance know to man. It's a traditional media for filtration. Activated Carbon is gotten from carbonaceous materials such as coconut shells and wood.
Kinetic Degradation Fluxion (KDF)- This a metal made by combining copper and zinc. When water comes into contact with KDF an electrochemical reaction takes place that neutralizes harmful substances.
Vitamin C- Reacts and neutralizes chemicals that are in water such as chlorine and chloramine.
They remove common water contaminants such as chlorine, chloramine, dust, rust, organic compounds and lead among others.
It depends on the kind of contaminants you want to get rid of. It is easy to purify water that has been treated with chlorine because unlike chloramine can be removed by almost all filtration methods. On the other hand, removing chloramine is a bit difficult because Carbon filter and KDF filter on their own don’t remove chloramine. You will need a shower filter that uses vitamin c or activated catalytic carbon.
The longevity of a shower filter depends on how it's the usage. However, on average a single shower filter is able to handle 10,000 gallons of water. For most homes, this will last about six months. Some shower filters have a longer lifespan and are able to last up to 15,000 gallons. Vitamin-C shower filter gets depleted much firster than carbon filters.